- On August 2, 2017
It’s always a strange and bittersweet feeling when you close the door and lock it up for the last time. It doesn’t matter if it’s your house or your business. You’ve got history there, you’ve witnessed history there, and you may have even made history there.
Dulono’s Pizza History
For 60 years, our Uptown store was “the store,” the first Dulono’s Pizza, and there will never be another place quite like it. Not for us – and not for all our loyal customers over the years. But stores close, and stores open. And we’re still doing business & making great pizza. We’ve even taken this opportunity to expand our delivery area. Check out our new Minneapolis pizza delivery map below:
Sixty years is a long time, and we’re certainly looking forward to another 60 years!! In reaching this milestone, we thought we’d take a moment or two to look back and remember what happened with our city, our country and the world at large over those six decades.
Where We Have Been
- We opened in 1957. The Twins and the Vikings didn’t show up until 1961. The Twins won their first World Series in 1987. Still waiting on the Vikings for a Super Bowl win…
- The Berlin Wall went up in 1961 and we were around to see it come down in 1989.
- Yuri Gagarin became the first person ever to orbit the Earth in 1961. (Man, that was a busy year).
- Johnny Carson first took over ‘‘The Tonight Show’’ in 1962. He left in 1992. We were open all those nights and more.
- ‘‘Star Wars’’ premiered in 1977. Two prequels, three sequels, a side story, and one Christmas special later, we’re still going strong.
- Neil Armstrong was the first man who ever walked on the moon in 1969. Gene Cernan was the last man ever to walk on the moon in 1972.
- Mickey’s Diner was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. (We’re not sore about it. Really.)
And that’s just a partial list. If we went over everything that happened over the last 60 years, it’d take more space than this. The one constant is change, but not everything changes. After all, we’re still offering delivery in the same areas. We’re still making the same great pizza that we’ve always made. And we’re keeping the same late hours that we’ve been keeping for years.
Cheers to 60 More Years!
As much as we miss our Uptown store, Dulono’s Pizza is still around and going strong, and we look forward to 60 more years of making the best pizza in the Twin Cities.